Careers Update: 6th Year Students
Message from Ms. Maher: Career Guidance Counsellor
To all 6th year students,
I hope you are managing your school work and well being at this difficult time. My heart goes out to you all. Hopefully this time next year you will be well settled into the next phase of your life whether it be at college/apprenticeship/work . But for now, please ensure you build a routine, it’s all about routine.
Life has to go on and your challenge is to find a way to manage in difficult circumstances. Try to get up at same time every day, have breakfast, get out for a run/walk. It will set you up for the day. Follow an academic schedule, make sure you hit each subject a number of times over the course of a week. Try to exercise during the day, there are a lot of workouts that are free online at the moment. Monitor your time spent on social media, making sure to include lots of FaceTime with your friends and family. Try and get 7 to 8 hours of sleep per night, you need your rest and remember, this is a marathon not a sprint.
I will keep you updated with regular news.
Thinking of you all,
- Please be aware that there are excellent resources on websites such as Careers Portal and Qualifax. On Careers Portal you can access the Events Calendar which is updated daily to reflect cancellations and postponements etc. It really is the most up to date point of contact for Career/College news.
- NUI Maynooth have postponed their Maths Exam for entry to Engineering Courses until August 2020 in response to current measures.
- Forms for Irish exemptions for NUI are available on website , no official closing date but would be a good idea to send them in before Easter http://www.nui.ie/
- Classroom Guidance, an excellent resource for 6th years is being offered for free: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHurGx1Tug
- Donnchadh O Mahony, Guidance Counsellor in Loreto College, St Stephen’s Green is hosting a number of Instagram Live Q&As for Leaving Cert students over the next few days. On the @leavingcertguidance page, Donnchadh will be hosting Q&As as follows:
- Friday 27th March at 11am with Dr. John McGinnity of Maynooth University.
- Monday 30th March with Jean McQuillan from UCD.
This would be an excellent opportunity for students and to log in live on these days with questions for the speakers. Just go to the @leavingcertguidance instagram page to see the live Q&As.