Community Care Shoe Box Appeal
Coolmine Community Care Team are helping this charity send presents to needy children. Many of these children are in orphanages, street-kid shelters, hospitals or in families stuck in a poverty trap and for many their shoebox is the only present they receive.
How can you help?
Cover an empty medium-size adult shoe box in Christmas paper. Wrap the lid and box separately.
Decide whether your gift will be for a BOY or a GIRL, and which age category. Suitable labels will be supplied by the Community Care team.
Fill the shoe box with the gifts from the list below. Please don’t wrap any items individually or overfill your box.
Enclose €3 or more in an envelope. Cheques are preferred for security reasons and should be made payable to Samaritan’s Purse. Place the envelope inside the box, but on the top of the gifts so that it is clearly visible when it is opened. (The €3 goes towards the promotion, transport, processing and distribution costs of running the project).
Secure the lid with an elastic band. Do not seal the box as it will need to be checked to ensure it meets customs requirements.
Recommended Gift Ideas
- Toys – small ball, cuddly toy, finger puppet, jigsaw, yo-yo, building blocks, small musical instrument. For boys – trucks or cars,
For girls – doll, clip-on earrings, make up or hair accessories.
- Educational supplies – felt pens, pens, pencils, pencil sharpener, eraser, copy book, chalk, colouring book, pencil case, stickers, notepad, picture / puzzle book.
- Hygiene items – toothbrush and toothpaste, hairbrush, comb, hair clips,
wrapped soap, facecloth.
- Other items – gloves, hat, scarf, sunglasses, cap, hat, socks or other small items of new clothing. Sweets (sell-by date must be at least March next year).
Please do not include any of the following items:
- Food or any other edible items (such as tinned food, crisps, biscuits, cakes)
- Medicine – any medicine or vitamins
- War related items – toy guns, soldiers or knives
- Clothing – larger items of clothing (other than those listed above)
- Fragile items – glass or mirrors
- Liquids of any kind, including blow bubbles, shampoo, bubble bath, toiletry sets or aerosols
- Dangerous items – sharp objects, scissors, razors or marbles
- Books with words
Closing date for receipt of shoeboxes is 11th November 2011.
We appreciate any help you can give us achieve this goal.
Fr. Tom & Fifth Year & TY Community Care Team.